Art & Today Introduction
· Alfred H. Barr Jr.-First Director at the MOMA
o “The narrative of modern art as both exhaustive and generative-before it expired, a prevailing style would beget not just one, but various other styles” pg 7
· Q: Is Barr purposing there is a specific formula to the life & death of an art movement?
· Clement Greenberg-art critic-responsible for Abstract Expressionism & Pollock’s success
· Arthur Danto-art critic
o Thought art becoming popular again in the 1980’s was artificial to its original meaning
· “Artists demanded freedom of expression, and they found radical ways to test the limits of all definitions of art.
· Does the diversity of the art world hinder itself from creating a concrete art movement?
· Response to Lyotard-Is abandoning the idea of a universal ideal for art really going to make stronger connections between artists in these post-modernism times?
· Definition of post-modernism is as vague as it can get
o Many definitions create confusion to its identity
· What exactly is the ‘master narrative’?
· What chapters I like:
o Art & Representation-strong narrative qualities that a viewer can identify with
o Art & Nature and Technology-anxieties of being aware of your role as a human in this globalized worlds with your effect to on the nature
o Art & Spirituality-The soul’s bond to expression is a continued deep connection for the artist, Drama makes people aware- Connection to my past and present